The ‘Guess the Year’ Quiz consists of a Mr L photo and 3 clues for each relevant year. Every question is for a different year………..
(Answers are at the bottom of this post)
1. Burger King founded; Ernest Hemingway wins Nobel Prize for Literature; Boeing tests the 707, the first jet-powered transport plane.
2.Tory party conference was bombed; Mrs. Gandhi assassinated; First ‘Terminator’ film was shown.
3. Pope John Paul II dies; Tony Blair becomes first Labour Party Prime Minister to win 3 successive terms; Tom Cruise and Katy Holmes get engaged.
4. Luncheon vouchers introduced in the UK; George de Mestral invents Velcro; Rosa Parks refuses to sit at the back of a bus breaking Montgomery, Alabama, segregated seating law.
5. Mary Rose raised; Falkland war begins; the first execution by lethal injection take place in America.
6. Charles and Diana divorced; publication of the Scott report (Arms to Iraq); new Severn bridge opened.
7. First colour supplement to a Sunday newspaper appears; Cuban missile crisis; Beatles drummer Pete Best is replaced by Ringo Starr.
8. Jeremy Thorpe cleared of murder; first nudist beach in Britain; Shah leaves Iran and Ayatollah Khomeini takes over.
9. Rio de Janeiro ceases to be the capital of Brazil; a test cricket match ties for the first time; Psycho one of the years most successful films.
10. The NSA, Edward Snowden and surveillance; Nelson Mandela dies; US government shutdown.
11. Compulsory to wear seat belts in the front seat of a car; the first American test-tube baby is born; ‘crack’ cocaine is developed in the Bahamas and soon found in the US.
12. London Heathrow Terminal 5 opens at Heathrow Airport; Boris Johnson becomes London Mayor when he defeats the incumbent Ken Livingstone; Cuban President Fidel Castro permanently steps down after 49 years in power and hands control of Cuba to his brother, Raul.
13. DNA is discovered; the Samaritans are founded; Stalin dies.
14. Coca Cola introduces Cherry Coke; Gorbachov, glasnost and Perestroika; Live Aid concerts in US and UK for famine relief in Ethiopia.
15. Worst earthquake in Haiti for 200 years, magnitude 7.0; Eyjafjallajokull volcano in Iceland results in a volcanic ash plume in the atmosphere over northern and central Europe; 33 Chilean miners spend 68 days trapped in a mine half a mile underground.
16. Hello! magazine launched in the UK; Pan-Am 747 explodes from terrorist bomb and crashes in Lockerbie; Comic Relief charity appeal launched by Rowan Atkinson.